From Captain Janeway, USS Voyager, to Seven of Nine, petulant former Borg(==teenager):
"Around here we have a command structure and I'm the captain!".
Yes, I want my children to think for themselves and not blindly follow authority. But....my patience for endlessly debating the mundane details of how/when chores are done, or why they can't do something, even if "everyone else's mom lets them" is limited. By implementing a command structure, I can eliminate the debate (which is generally just a delaying tactic) and move on to Actually Getting Things Done.
So far, this works fairly well. Since my children don't actually watch Star Trek(gasp!), I've had to do some basic explanation[1], assign ranks[2] and implement some fairly rigid training exercises[3]. I've also gotten some limited buy-in from the love of my life/first officer [4].
Also effective: A curt "Dismissed" to end pointless debate for which "I'm the captain!" does not apply.
------
[1] Basic explanation also includes important information, like never volunteer to beam down to a planet while wearing a red shirt, unless you are a recurring character.
[2] The older two outrank the youngest which made the older two much more enthusiastic about the plan. The youngest hasn't fully bought into the program, but she isn't fully teen yet, either
[3] Consisting of repeating "I'm the captain!" to any complaints. If that is unsuccessful, I remind them that "resistance is futile!".
[4] Who is unaware of the limited, um, romantic opportunities of the first officers. Please don't tell!
There's a book here -- Parenting with Janeway and Kirk?
ReplyDeleteI'll have to try the "dismissed trick" with my teens!
I think it would have to include all the captains. Captain Jean-Luc "I don't like children" Picard might be a challenge:-).
ReplyDeleteThis is great! I've been known to invoke the Wizard of Oz..."The Great Oz has spoken!" Fortunately, no one has yet responded, "Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain."
ReplyDelete